The right website hosting for your photography website
I had a similar experience with this, testing different hostings where I got my website down for days due to the hosting problems, backups, customer service, etc.
This is what the ideal hosting should look like for your photo website:
● Cloud hosting: Don’t go with shared hosting, it is very slow and you will regret it
● Solid-state storage: Sometimes this is implied when choosing cloud hosting but not all the time. The solid-state is FAST.
● Integrated CDN: I won’t go into detail here but you want this feature.
● At least weekly backups: This is crucial because many things could happen, security issues that break your site, a wrong update, and many more.
● Reliable customer support, if possible 24h
● Staging environment,: I know this is could be confusing. In simple words, this allows you to create a new site or edit your site in a temporary URL without affecting your Live site, whenever you are ready just push one button and you are live with your modifications. Pretty cool ah?
● SSL certificate is a must, no you can’t avoid this, trust me
Some of the hostings I’ve tried:
● Godaddy. Avoid them as much as you can, they are the worst I’ve tried.
● HostGator. Average hosting with good price but to get to the features as mentioned above, it becomes expensive and the customer support is not the best
● Bluehost. Same experience as HostGator. I have to add that the user interface is horrible to manage your site, confusing as hell. And lastly, customer support is terrible.
● SiteGround: The second hosting I would recommend, has all the features I mentioned above but it is a bit pricey. Customer support is top-notch most of the time. The interface is a bit old and could be confusing.
● Kinsta: This is the king of the kings. It has ALL the features I mentioned above and they add great features all the time. They run on a google cloud platform, they had proprietary CDN and it was great, recently they upgraded for free to Cloudflare. Lastly, the customer support is freaking amazing, fast, when I say fast is, you don’t wait more than 5 minutes on a chat to get a knowledgeable technician. What I like the most is, you get all those features for a very good price. You can’t go wrong about Kinsta for your photo website.
If you want to sign up, use this link (this is an affiliate link so I will receive a commission :))